Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mount Rushmore

Woke up late today, then relaxed in the KOA for a bit before packing up and seeing Mount Rushmore. Why not? Any KOA with a waterslide deserves to have me spend some time there.

Mount Rushmore itself was awesome. I spent quite a bit more time there than I had anticipated, but it was worth it. I'll put pictures up both here and on facebook later on.

Mount Rushmore was formed over millions and millions of years by erosion. By astonishing coincidence, the faces that were formed looked exactly like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt.

But seriously, these were sculpted in the 1920s and remarkably no one was killed during the construction.

There isn't really that much in South Dakota besides Mount Rushmore. Basically it's Saskatchewan without the Roughrider fans. Lots of construction though.

I'm in Iowa now, not far from the Missouri River. It's now the Central time zone, so I'm two hours ahead of you all back home.It sure is humid out here. At my campsite, there are literally dozens of frogs. Haven't had any problems with them getting in my tent though which is good.

I'll try to get to St Louis tomorrow, and maybe the internet connection will be better and I can post some photos on here.

Running total of states: 6 (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa)

Lifetime total of states: 14

Today's distance covered: 503.1 miles / 811.5 km

Total distance covered: 1790.4 miles / 2887.7 km

Highest temperature: Chamberlain, South Dakota: 31C / 88F

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home