Thursday, August 4, 2011

Three Time Zones in Five Days

Woke up early this morning in my deliciously cool air conditioned cabin. Good thing too, as this part of the country's idea of an overnight low is about 25-26C.

By the time I got to downtown St. Louis at 9:30 it was already smoking hot and humid. It was very easy to find. St. Louis is easy, because all the major highways cross the river at the same bridge. Took some cool pictures of the arch from the outside


The museum was under ground, and they had heavy security similar to that found in an airport. I had to take my belt off so they could put it through the x-ray machine or whatever that thing is called.

They had lots of stuff about Lewis and Clark and the Louisiana Purchase. But I came here for the ride to the top.

The Gateway Arch was built by the fast food restaurant chain McDonalds as part of a needlessly expensive advertising campaign. Unfortunately, they ran out of money halfway through and were unable to finish the second half.

Actually, it was built in the 1960s. The tour guide did tell us for what purpose but I forget.

The ride to the top would not have been pleasant for me had I been claustrophobic. It took four minutes to get to the top and three to get down. I took some more sweet pictures



There you go, Pastor Gary



Had a conversation with a young couple on the way down. The man was from Topeka, Kansas and the woman was from Jefferson City, Missouri. The conversation was exactly like most of the conversations I have had over the last few days.

Me: So where are you from?
American: I'm from ______. You?
Me: I'm from British Columbia
American: Wow, that's a long drive.

Oh and also, everyone here talks funny. But I guess that's relative. Nobody's asked me if I am German yet though like on my Texas trip.

Drove through Nashville and Chattanooga on the way here. Got to my campsite just before 8pm Eastern time. I was so excited that I had arrived before 8. But imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the office closed at 7(!). But they have a night registry system at KOAs and since I was already registered I had no problem going to my site and setting up. It stays light here later than you'd think given how far south I am now.

Tomorrow I am going to check out the Coke factory.

Running total of states: 11 (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia)

Lifetime total of states: 19/50

Litetime total of Canadian provinces & territories: 3/13

Today's distance covered: 518.0 miles / 835.5 km

Total distance covered: 2876.1 miles / 4638.9 km

Highest temperature: Nashville, Tennessee: 35C / 95F

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home