Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Weather of All Extremes

Left the Freeman's house at about 3pm and drove southwest into Alabama. I spent the night in Mobile and even with me gaining an hour upon returning to the central time zone, I still didn't arrive at my hotel until after 10pm. I was prepared for this, however. This was my only scheduled hotel stop on the trip, because there are no KOAs nearby.

The Next morning (August 8), I left my hotel in Mobile and drove along the I-10 along the Gulf of Mexico. Couldn't resist spending some time in Biloxi, Mississippi and visiting the historic lighthouse.


Interesting story behind that building behind the lighthouse. Met a middle aged black man named Matthew in the parking lot by the beach

and he told be that the building offered tours and served as a historical center for the area. What's interesting is that this building had been closed since Katrina hit back in '05, and had just reopened that day.

The beach was of fine white sand, and the weather was intimidating to say the least
This developed into a rainstorm that was so furious that I could barely see the car infront of me. I nearly had to stop driving.

Unfortunately, I couldn't enter the lighthouse
Spent the majority of the day driving through Louisiana, which was nice, although I avoided New Orleans.
The weather cleared up as I left the gulf and got increasingly hot. So much so that I knew I would never be able to sleep in a tent at my next campsite in Dallas. Once I crossed the state line into Texas, I called the campsite and cancelled the reservation, because they had no cabins available.
So consecutive nights in hotels for me. I stayed in a small town, about an hour east of Dallas that I no longer know the name of. It was a nice hotel though. It had an outdoor pool, which I was able to swim in.

Running total of states: 15 (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas)

Lifetime total of states: 22

Highest temperature: Shreveport, Louisiana 40C / 104F (Beautiful!)

Until next time...

1 Comments:

At September 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Brian Margavich said...

The visitor's center is a brand new building that just opened a month ago. The building replaced 3 buildings that were completely leveled by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

We're sorry that you didn't get a chance to climb the lighthouse, we have it open monday-saturday at 9am.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home